7/02/2014

FITD Travel PSA: An Open Letter to Spirit Airlines

What I enjoy about blogging is writing about places and ideas and things that are meaningful to me--whether it's making chocolate-covered strawberries or discussing a trip to Key West, I try to keep my blog fun, upbeat, and positive.

My next blog post was going to be about turning 40 and my trip to Las Vegas. And I will blog about that. But before I do that, I feel compelled to write a blog post about my experience with Spirit Airlines and why you should not fly them.

Dear Spirit Airlines:

You don't know me. You don't know that I turned 40 this year and had planned a girl's weekend with my BFF for the last weekend in June. And that we planned on what we were going to do, where we were going to eat, what we were going to buy. We'd been planning for months.

We even coordinated our flights to arrive around the same time, so we could make the most of our time together. Since we only get to see each other once a year, this trip was something we were both looking forward to.

The plan was to get to the hotel, sip a drink, and sit poolside.

Except there was nary a pool to be had. Nary.

And do you know why? Because y'all messed up.

Now, I realize that I'm partially to blame. After all, I had been warned. Your low-cost fares came at a price: the nickel-and-diming (which I was actually okay with), the lack of customer service, your propensity for delayed flights--something I did not know until after the fact.

But I digress.

Imagine my chagrin when I go to your website to check in the night before and see that my flight is delayed by 20 minutes. Which would be fine except that I have a connecting flight. (And BTW, your status bar on your website shouldn't be called Loading Awesome. It should be called Loading Awful. And I'm thinking of changing your name to Shady. It seems to fit.)

No matter. I remain optimistic.

I continue to remain optimistic until the next morning--when I see my flight is (still) delayed.

I did what any reasonable person would do. I called you. And you know what? You have the worst customer service on the planet. Ever.

No matter. I (continue) to remain optimistic.

I get to the airport--and, hey, the ticket agent is awesome. She assures me that in spite of the tight connection, I should have no problem making my connecting flight.

My good mood is instantly restored.

Until I make it through security and spend 90 minutes waiting for my flight only to be called to the gate and told that my flight was going to delayed further and that I was going to miss my connecting flight. 

My only flight option? 9:00 that night. (Except it wasn't really nine--it was more like 10:00 p.m.) Because, oh dear, Spirit doesn't partner with any other airline to perhaps make your travel experience more convenient when they FUBAR it.

Now, again, Spirit, I get it. I know the President was in town, and there was a grounding of airspace. (Dear President Obama, sigh. I really, really wish you would have picked another time.)

Except other flights were leaving. Nothing to warrant a three-hour delay.

No matter. I thank the gate agent who was kind enough to upgrade me to a bigger seat. The $20 he saved me really helped. Especially since I had to figure out what to do with nearly ten hours of my time.

I decide to go to the Mall of America since I can't go home.

Oh, but wait! Whoops--the hotel reservation is in my name, and my BFF can't check in. So, I have to make 30 minutes worth of phone calls.

But, again, no matter. I try to put on a happy face and pretend I'm a tourist. I visit the Barbie Dreamhouse Experience. I also bought myself a pair of pajamas and a toothbrush--because, to be honest, you're not exactly instilling confidence in me at this point.

Ca-ching, ca-ching?? Wait? Is that the sound of money being spent?

Why, yes it is!! Again, my choice, but I can almost certainly say that if I'd been on your on-time flight, that wouldn't have happened.

Oh--and that pesky thing called time. Pffft. Whatever.

Upon my return to the airport, I find that my flight has (yet again) been delayed. My visions of Vegas are beginning to feel like a pipe dream.

When my flight was (yet again) delayed, I decided to take action. I approached the gate agent and very calmly explained my situation. I believed I used the words "egregious and unprofessional" when describing your airline.

I asked, "What can you do for me?"

The response I got: "Nothing."

Nothing.

Now, I can tell you, I am used to waiting. I flew as a non-rev passenger for 20 years with American where my Mom was a loyal employee. I'm used to stand-by. I'm used to being bumped.

However, as a paying customer--I expect to be treated as such.

You took away nearly a day of my trip.

But wait--this is just on the flight out to Vegas!! You were (yet again) delayed upon my return trip--causing me to have to board my dog overnight.

I would like to propose an option for you: rethink your business model. If your flights are delayed 50% of the time, that's a problem. If people who have flown with you and will never fly with you again, that's a problem. If I mention that I flew Spirit Airlines and the response I get is, "You didn't!!" That's a problem.

If a gate agent cannot assuage a customer with food/drink voucher, that's a problem.

I cannot get back the time you took from me on a most special occasion, but rest assured: I will never fly with you again. Ever. And I will most arduously persuade others from doing so.

Sincerely,

Brandy









No comments:

Post a Comment