8/01/2014

FITD Travel: Up North, Unplugged

In the summer months, Minnesotans pack up their trucks, attach a boat to a trailer hitch, and make their way Up North (Up Nort--as my friend and I call it.) to partake in fishing, camping, and other outdoor activities.

Although I enjoy nature in theory, I'm not really what you would call a nature girl. I don't fish. I don't hunt. And I don't camp. (I'm more of a glamping girl.) In fact, my Beloved's sister had me convinced for two whole days that fish have no nerve endings because I was so horrified in the manner in which fish are killed and fileted. (And bear in mind that I'm not vegetarian. I just prefer my animal products in all of their packaged glory.)

And, yet, I really adore getting out-of-town and heading to Northern Minnesota. It's a beautiful part of the country. I love to sit by the lake. I love to hear the loons. To me, it is a very soothing respite.

Here's what I have a hard time with: being unplugged. About 20 miles outside of Duluth, my cell signal starts to peter out. (Damn you, T-Mobile.) Then I start to get The Twitch. How will all of my 452 Facebook friends know that I've been to some random restaurant in the middle of nowhere?

Oh the horror.

We spent a leisurely week journeying to International Falls, Ely, Grand Marais, and Duluth--with sketchy service at best. What's a pseudo nature girl to do?

Take a walk. Admittedly, once you call it a hike, I'm out, but taking a walk around where you are staying is wonderful. It's nice to be alone with your own thoughts and the fresh air. During our time in International Falls, we stayed on Rainy Lake, and it was nice to just walk around.

Create. The nice thing about being unplugged is that you can use that time to pursue other pastimes rather than the Top 26 X, Y, or Z thing on Buzzfeed. Getting away is an excellent opportunity to work on that scrapbook you keep meaning to finish or to just journal.

Engage the locals. I love talking to and meeting new people. Just yesterday, I met this guy in Grand Marais who is really active in that tiny house movement. He sold his 3,000 square foot home, and now he and his wife live in a one-room cabin. Just recently, they got electricity after living there for four years--apparently, there is still no plumbing. Good for him, though.

We also got an amazing recommendation for lunch at historic Naniboujou Lodge. (The French onion soup is amazing.)


The historic Dining Room ceiling
Shop around. Admittedly, most of the small stores in small Northern Minnesota towns tend to run  a bit touristy--and as they should. But you may just run into a perfect little antique shop or flea market. Our visit in Grand Marais coincided with Fisherman Days--an annual festival celebrating, well, you guessed it: fishing. Local vendors came to showcase their wares, and we walked away with some pretty awesome maple syrup.

It's also a wonderful way to add to any personal collections you may have. (My nickname is Moose, so I am obsessed with moose paraphilia.)

See the sights. There really is nothing better than being a tourist. Often times, my Beloved I and will stop and mosey and do something just because we can. This trip we stopped at Grand Portage National Monument and learned all about the Voyageurs, a group of French Canadian traders.

We also stopped at the border and waved at Canada. (Hey Canada!!)

Employ the Save for Later feature on Facebook. When you are able to score that wireless connection, tag those posts on Facebook that you want to save and read them later.

Savor the moment. You're making memories. :) Like this.




Images of Rainy Lake

 
 
FITD love!
 
 
xo,
 
B
 
 
(all images courtesy of Framed In The Doorway)






No comments:

Post a Comment