11/16/2012

Ginger Spice

When I think about the holiday season, I always picture my mom baking/cooking up a storm. Whether it was her famous caramel corn (that she would give to co-workers every year) or making the family cookie recipe, there was always something going on in the kitchen.

So, naturally, around this time of year, I go into Martha mode (which sometimes scares the people who know me well).

This year, I adopted a solider overseas and was contemplating what kind of cookie I could send him that would a.) be holiday-oriented and b.) keep well in transit.

I pulled out my handy-dandy Betty Crocker cookbook that my mom gave me may years ago and dug out my recipe for gingersnaps.

Ingredients

  • 3/4 cup shortening
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon cloves
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • white sugar for decoration

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
  2. In a medium bowl, cream together the shortening and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg and molasses until well blended.
  3. Combine the flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; stir into the molasses mixture to form a dough. Roll dough into 1 inch balls and roll the balls in the remaining sugar. Place cookies 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
  4. Bake for 12 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. 












No comments:

Post a Comment