5/01/2014

FITD Flights of Fancy: Headed off to The Barre

As I approach my fortieth year, I am looking for ways to get my body strong and fit--especially around my core area. And although I'm good about doing cardio, I really hate, hate doing any kind of strength training . I get bored easily, so I need to be motivated.

I'd been wanting to check out Barre classes after the studio moved to the area, so finally after just talking about it, I acted upon it and signed up for a free class online.

The studio itself is light and airy with a view that overlooks the lake. There is a lounge area to rest before and after class, and bottled water and tea are provided for your convenience.

The Movements

Since I've only done this one class at this studio, I don't know if this is a standard curriculum. The exercises are isometric with small repetitions, working each major muscle group until point-of-failure.

(I failed a lot.)

The Props

Yoga mats are provided--along with medicine balls, free weights, and straps.

Tips
  • Wear fitted, breathable clothing so that your instructor can see your posture and alignment.
  • Leave your dance shoes at home. Although very basic terminology and concepts are used, this is not a dance class. Instead, opt for socks. (My studio requires them and suggests the ones with the grippers on the bottom, which they sell in the studio.)
  • It's not how high you lift your leg. Exercises can be modified to suit your needs.
  • Hydrate. I had to stop and drink lots of water. 
This class was a lot of fun and an amazing workout!! I'm excited to check out another class soon. Thank you The Barre Wayzata for a wonderful experience.

Barre Socks :)

FITD love!

xo,

B


No comments:

Post a Comment