2/20/2013

A Charmed Life...

In 2010, my Mom gave me her charm bracelet for Christmas. It was something I had not seen since childhood--when although I was allowed to look at the charms, I was not allowed to touch them. The charm bracelet--long forgotten--was a memory tucked back into the recesses of my brain.

When I unwrapped the bracelet, I remembered everything about it. My favorite charms. The history behind them. My only regret to this day is that I was so excited about my Kindle that Christmas that I didn't ask my Mom about every single charm.

Most charms I remembered. Many of them were gifts from my dad to her and bring back many happy childhood memories and life changes. Some, I do not. What I love is that's an ultimate history of m/oury family.

It was also fun to see some of the new charms she picked to commemorate her own adventures!

Her last words to me about the bracelet: "Don't just try to slide it over your wrist. Make sure you use the clasp."

After Mom died, I put the bracelet away. It made me so sad, and the daily reminder of all of those memories was too much to bear.

I am not a big believer in signs. Whether I'm just jaded, bitter, or still searching, I mainly believe that signs are things we make ourselves believe in order to make us feel better.

But...last night I had a dream about my Mom. In this dream, I was apparently "in a snit" as she would say. When I woke up, I was thinking that I should call her and tell her about this because the dream was kind of funny. And then I suddenly remembered, I couldn't call her, and I was just heartbroken.

And then I wanted that charm bracelet. And I was reminded of my Mom's words to me: "Your life is GOOD!" (Which, of course, is totally true. I just had the most amazing pedicure.)

And you know what? It is. So I slid that bracelet over my wrist--clasp be damned. (But then one of the charms fell off later, so I might want to rethink that whole signs thing. Maybe. Why is it that Moms always get the last word?)

I am so inspired to remember that even when there are bumps in the road, there are still so many magnificent and joyous memories to make with the wonderful people (and Yorkshire) in my life. And I have made so, so many that it just makes me grateful and puts a smile on my face. :)

So, as requested...here are some of the pictures of the charms. Sorry they are not that great. My plan--I think--is to take the charms off the bracelet and make new ones, so I can wear them daily. As it stands, the currently bracelet has lost of charms and is pretty heavy. 

My Baby Picture





One of my favorites...a marriage certificate charm engraved with my parents' names. I love this.

Marriage Certificate Charm
.

 From my Dad to Mom: a wedding ring charm

Wedding Ring Charm


A family vacay to Wyoming--there is also a charm for Mt. Rushmore for the same trip.

Wyoming
When we moved to the great state of...

Texas! 

  

My Mom's trip to Asia...

Asia

And I THINK this is from when she turned 21...

Birthday love
Happy Wednesday!!

xo

(images courtesy of Framed In The Doorway)

No comments:

Post a Comment