5/15/2013

Fairy Garden Too!!

Finally, finally, after all of this time, my first fairy garden is complete!!

Remember my first post about how I couldn't wait to start my garden once the weather became warm enough?

It finally became warm enough.

Although we have a raised bed in our yard, I have opted to do container gardens because I have so many ideas, and I can move them around as I see fit.

I was extremely lucky to find, Ann, a designer at a local florist, who was as helpful and as sweet as could be.

Things I learned:

  • Have good drainage. I chose to use a deep container because I like the aesthetic. Use rocks, mulch, or Styrofoam to level your container. Charcoal also works as it purifies the water. In my case, I used 1/2 charcoal and 1/2 dirt--a bit much. In hindsight, I would have used a smaller container.
  • Start small. Pick a focal point--a house, a well, whatever piece you choose and work around that. Although I do have some accessories in my garden, most of the texture comes from the plants and rocks. 
  • Use a mister. Keep track of but don't over water. Little plants are delicate. 
  • Befriend preserved moss. Seriously. 
  • Don't strive to be perfect. (I keep telling myself this.) You are only limited by your imagination. And this is fun.















So, although these pictures are not in chronological order, I hope they reflect the spirit of the garden.

(images courtesy of Framed In The Doorway)

xo,

B


No comments:

Post a Comment