3/18/2014

FITD: Fine China

Although I do not often entertain formally, I enjoy treating myself (and my guests) to dining on formal china. To me, it says, "I welcome you in my home, and you will have the best I have to give." Whether you are 25 and just starting out or in your 40s and have decided that you want to start a china collection of your very own, this post is for you.

Choosing Your China

Like anything else, you should choose something that makes you smile when you see it. It should make you feel good. I started my china collection when I was in my late 20s, and I enjoy it just as much now as I did then.

I know many young people today eschew the practice of registering for a formal china pattern upon marriage. But if you do--and I hope you do--please consider these thoughts.

How you are at 25 isn't how you'll be at 80.

China is about longevity. It is something you acquire over time to share with friends and family. I know it's hard to conceptualize how you will feel--20, 30, or even.40-years down the line, but think about that when you are researching patterns.

For my part, I went with a very classic, simple Nantucket pattern that can be used for both formal and informal occasions.

Consider Your Price Point

Wedgwood and Royal Doulton, to me, remain the epitome of wonderful craftsmanship.
I love my Wedgwood and have carted it around for years. I firmly believe if I drove my Wedgwood through a train tunnel on a motorcycle--not only would it be fully-intact--but there would be a tea tray cozied up next to it with a nice pot of Earl Grey . on the other side

They also remain on the higher end of the scale in terms of pricing.

But continue to do your research. Lenox is wonderful--as is Restoration Hardware for contemporary pieces.

Dream Big but Start Small

Whatever you decide--start with basics.

An initial place setting should contain a dinner, salad, and dessert plate--accompanied by a cup and saucer.

If possible, acquire your place settings in pairs--even if it takes you a little bit to save.

It may be tempting to buy that awesome soup tureen--but start with the basics first.

One of my favorite stories is the one my Mom told me about our formal china. Back in the '70s, she saved the "green stamps" she earned from the grocery store and would trade those stamps in for pieces of china.

Take your time. It's okay.


Back to Basics


Cupcakes and Coffee: Wedgwood Style

Incorporating Family Heirlooms into Your China

Even if you've inherited your china from your great-grandmother, that articular style may not suit you--and yet, you hang onto it for sentimental reasons. (I have a few pieces like that.) Consider using particular pieces in lieu or in addition to pieces within your china pattern.

(For example, I don't feel the need to add a sugar and creamer to my collection because I already have some depression-era pieces that I prefer.)

Mixing the Formal with the Informal: St. Patrick's Day 2014

Formally Dressed: Thanksgiving 2013

Caring for Your China

This goes without saying, I am sure, but it is best to wash your china (and silver and stemware) by hand. (I have put my Wedgwood cups and saucers through the dishwasher without a problem--but it is best to err on the side of caution.

Washing my Hand is Best

All in all, have fun and enjoy the process!!

FITD love!

xo,

B

(images courtesy of Framed In The Doorway)









No comments:

Post a Comment