3/04/2014

Food and Wine with Friends: Hosting a Wine Tasting, Part Two

Before we begin with actual food pairings, I thought it would be fun to discuss hosting ideas for your tasting.

Involve your Friends

I think the coolest and most inclusive way to host a tasting is to involve your friends. Set a price point, and have everyone bring a bottle. I'm going to suggest $15-$20, but that is entirely up to you.

Choose you Wine

This is probably the most intimidating part. My advice: find a country and go from there. It's probably best to have your tasting from a particular region. I'm more knowledgeable about California wines than any other. For my part, I'd love to have a tasting of California Pinot Noirs!

One thing I would suggest is to start small, whichever route you choose. Typically, when tasting wine, you start by sampling a lighter-bodied wine and work your way to heavier, fuller-bodied wines. It's easy for both you and your palette to become overwhelmed when sampling multiple wines, so keeping things simple--especially if you're new to wine--is key.

Ignore your Stemware

Sounds kind of crazy, huh? Depending on the size of your party, it may be tempting to bring out all of your best crystal--which you most certainly can do--but it may be worth your while to go out and purchase inexpensive wine goblets suitable for both red and white wines.

If you couple them with wine charms for the glasses, you have an easy way for guests to know whose glass is whose as well as to have a party favor to take home at the end of the night. Not only do you get out of washing glasses, but your fancy stemware is also protected.

Set up Your Tasting Table

First things first: where do you want to set up your tasting area? In our home, the kitchen is the main social focal point. That may also work best for you. If you have the space in your home, it might be fun to set up different areas with different wine and food pairings.

Once you have the wines you like, I would suggest opening them an hour before your tasting. To make pouring easier, you can use drip-free pourers. How much is a pour? Well, really just a tiny amount. Maybe half-an-ounce?

Since little pours can lead to a lot of wine, make sure you have ice water handy. Some people use water to clean out their glasses between tasting. I do not.

Most wine-tastings will usually have a "dump bucket" to get rid of unwanted wine. And, although several my of family members are rolling over in their graves about this, it is perfectly acceptable to dump wine if you don't like it, have had enough (???), or just ready move on to the next one. A tasting is just that--a tasting.

You can set something up, or use the ubiquitous dump bucket: the kitchen sink.

Perform as a Group

I will be honest and state that I'm not much of a group activity person. I'm the person at the bridal/baby shower who is narrowing her eyes at some awful game I'm being subjected to. (Unless it's bingo. I'm all over bingo.)  I'd much rather just talk to people and get to know them.

Having said that, some people like ice breaker games, and a wine tasting just could be the perfect place for that. Maybe there should be wine bingo?

A few More Odds and Ends...

Until the next time, when I have actual pairings (YAY!!), I thought I would leave you with a few odds and ends...

  • Check out online wine clubs or memberships to different vineyards. It's a nice way to try different wines that normally may not be available to you.

  • Don't spit out your wine. I know it is common practice to spit out wine after tasting it. However, I cannot bring myself to engage in such a practice. It's okay if you don't either.

  • Bring a bottle you like into restaurants. Restaurants make a ton of money off alcohol sales. If there's a wine you want to try, bring it with you when you dine. A corkage fee is a fraction of the cost. Another small note: if dining at a more upscale place with a very special bottle of wine, offer up a taste to your server or chef of what you've brought. He or she may waive your corkage fees. In addition, it's a nice way to engage another person who knows about wine and who could offer up a suitable food pairing with the wine you've brought.

 FITD love!

xo,

B





No comments:

Post a Comment