3/03/2013

Consignment Shop Sunday: Friendship, a Memory, and a Tutu Skirt

Oh, finally, finally, finally!!!

I have looked and looked and looked. I have looked high. I have looked low. I have perused Pinterest. I have scoured Etsy with some Regretsy, and I have not been able to find exactly what I am looking for: a tutu skirt much like the pink that Carrie Bradshaw wears in the intro of Sex and the City.

A girlfriend of mine kidnapped me today for lunch and a much-needed (ahem...okay wanted) shopping trip.

We hit a consignment shop close to home to ferret out some good deals. Now, I'll be honest and say that I have a love/hate relationship with consignment shops. Clothing in consignment shops is like eating a bag of Lays potato chips: you can't just buy one thing.

So, it's easy (at least for me) to say, "Well, this shirt is $20, and it's designer, and it was originally $70!" And I'll buy the shirt even though I may like it only a little.

As I have mentioned before, one of my resolutions is to only wear what I love and love what I wear.

Today, I managed to hit the sweet spot: some really great deals with some pieces I love that will integrate nicely with what I already own.

What did I snag?

Well...

  • A lovely pink, tweed Anny Taylor jacket
  • A coral fluffy sweater...perfect for my pearls
  • A dusty rose Banana Republic dress
  • And...the beloved tutu skirt

Now, before I share pics (YAY!!) of the tutu skirt, I'd like to share a little something about myself. As much as I love fashion and styling myself, embarrassingly, it's not uncommon for me to end up wearing a shirt backwards or inside out. It's a joke among my family and friends that sometimes I need a little help with my clothing.

Which leads me to the telling of the Great San Juan incident of 2000: Or the Straitjacket Cometh.

My Mom and I took a cruise that left from San Juan. We spent a a day there sightseeing and exploring the local shops. My mom, noticing the provocatively-dressed women, suggested that I try on a similar-looking ensemble.

This is how the convo went:

Mom: (handing me a couple of LBDs) Here, try these on.

Me: I CAN'T!!!

Mom: Why not?

Me: Because! These dresses are SMALL and FORM-FITTING! I'll look like a baby hippo.

Mom: Oh, God, here we go again! You are not fat! And, besides (with irrefutable Mom logic), the Puertican women wear them! Are they fat?

Me: (mumble) No.

Which is how I ended up in a dressing room trying on an LBD with too much L and not enough D. Because the D was made up of multiple straps. And suddenly, I found myself trapped like a sausage in a casing.

What to do?

Me: Mom! MOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!

Mom: What's wrong?

Me: I need you! I'm stuck! I'm stuck in the dress! I can't move my arms. I can't get it on or off!

Mom: Don't move. I'm coming in!

And there I was: my arms pinned inside the dress.

Mom: and I started to giggle. And the harder we laughed, the funnier the situation became. She carefully extricated me from my cloth prison and proceeded to set things to rights.

She turned me in front of the mirror.

Mom: Wow.

Me: WOW!

We bought the dress. Wow indeed.

****************************************************

Back to present day. I do most of my shopping online. For the sales and for the Internet Fairy! :) It's pretty rare that I shop with anyone. But, when you shop with a friend who used to be a personal shopper/fashion merchandising person, you get to shop with your own Rachel Zoe.

After finding the tutu skirt et al., I was trying on clothing in the dressing room, when I encountered a similar San Juan problem:

Me: (expletive (s)). Stupid dress. I can't believe it doesn't fit.

Me: I'll just sit down and look at the dress and think about why it doesn't fit. It's just like stupid San Juan all over again.

Me: Crap. Stuck in the dress.

Me: DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE 

Dee: Everything okay?

Me: I can't figure out the dress!

Dee: Okay, don't move. I'm coming in.

Me: Maybe it just doesn't fit.

Dee: Maybe. But hold on.

A few minutes later, Dee had figured out the problem.

Dee: Hang tight. It's the belt. Cut it off and we can restyle it (pulling options).

Me: I like it.

Dee: Me too.

Indeed. :)

It's good to have friends.

So, pics of my beloved tutu skirt (Forever 21):






FITD love!!

xo,

B




No comments:

Post a Comment