1/20/2013

Prime Rib Soup Recipe

My mom and I used to frequent Harrigan's, a restaurant in Texas that is (sadly) no longer in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

Our favorite thing to order was the prime rib and mushroom soup, and it is one of the best soups I have ever had.

Once the restaurant left the area, I made it my mission to track down this recipe and try it out.

Not only is the soup easy to make, but it is also an excellent way to use up leftovers from a standing rib roast. I like it because it includes ingredients that I already have on hand, and it's less labor-intensive than other soups I've made

You can find the recipe here, but just in case, I'm posting it on the blog as well.

Harrigan's Prime Rib and Mushroom Soup


4 cups water
8 teaspoons bovril powder
2 cups sour cream
2 cups chopped prime rib roast
1/2 cup mushroom
chives (optional)

1. Cook prime rib roast to desired doneness.

2. Pour any drippings into saucepan. Add water and Bovril. Heat.

3. Add sour cream and chopped prime rib roast and mushrooms. Heat**SLOWLY**. Do not boil. Serve and enjoy!

Note: Bovril is British; It's a beef extract that can be used in recipes such as the one above or spread on toast or used to make a "beef tea".

My Musings

I prefer to use fat-free sour cream and to top my soup with chives. If you have saved the rib bones, you can make a sort-of beef stock out of them along with the Bovril. As always, modify the recipe to taste. I made a bigger batch this time, so I used more of everything.

Simmering on  the stove...


A lovely meal: Wedgwood, silver, Jo Malone, and a glass of Pellegrino

(images via Framed in the Doorway)


My mom and I had some wonderful talks over this soup, so it makes me even happier to pass it along. :)

Enjoy!!

FITD love!

xoxo,

B



No comments:

Post a Comment